Friday 7 September 2012

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green- Review



 Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.
Blurb from Goodreads

*****

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
 
This is me right now:







I can't even. John Green. That man.

****

One of the things about me that can tell you if I really like a book or not, is if I've borrowed a book from the library, read it, but still want to buy it from the bookstore. The Fault In Our Stars is definitely those books. I am so in love with this book, that I am tempted to buy every single edition of this- paperback, hardcover, whatever- but such expenses is too much for my wallet.



John Green continues to baffle me with the way he writes his books; his prose, his characters, the plot- everything. He could make me laugh like a mental patient one minute, and then bawl like a five- year- old the next. The way he writes and the things he writes about is so relateable to any teenager out there and I love that he understands. I mean, trying not to sound like Patrick here during that chocolate selling episode in Spongebob, but I love that man. The amazingness is to much to describe.



Lord, and Augustus. And the metaphors. And Hazel and Gus together. I absolutely loved how their relationship was very real and nothing seemed fake or cheesy (not that I expected fake cheesyness from John Green). Such perfection. I loved it. I loved all the other characters as well, Isaac, Van Houten, Lidewij, and how they were all relevant to the story (because I hate useless characters).



There's nothing negative for me to say about this book. The Fault In Our Stars was pretty much perfect.

In the end, I loved, loved loved this book; it was hilarious, witty and insightful. It just made me loved John Green more and more excited to read his other and future books. So now, if you excuse me, I am off to the bookstore hopefully to find a copy of The Fault In Our Stars.

1 comment:

  1. I AGREE 100%. I sobbed so hard my roommate came in panicked that something was wrong!I basically called everyone I love to tell them so after I finished. This book made me an ultimate John Green fangirl.

    ReplyDelete